Brain health is a topic we have covered extensively here at Care At Home Services. From Brain Games, Alzheimer’s Research and Dementia Risk Prevention, to Continuing Your Education and Brain Terms & Knowledge we know that mental health is important to living a long and fulfilling life.
A great resource to get to know more about the brain is The Brain Facts Book from BrainFacts.org which covers topics from the basic anatomy of the brain to brain research and treating brain disorders.
Some great facts from the book include:
- Once people reach 70 they may start to become more forgetful with things like people’s names, where they parked, or phone numbers and addresses.
- This is not necessarily a sign of disease but a natural progression of the aging brain.
- Long-term studies of the nervous system, started decades ago, are starting to bear results and combine with modern technology give a better understanding of how the brain ages.
- The brain reaches its maximum weight near our 20th birthday.
- Normal aging does not result in widespread neuron loss, distinguishing normal aging from neurodegenerative diseases.
- As we age we may become slower at some tasks but better at others like our vocabulary.
- Studies on rats show that a more challenging and stimulating environment benefits mental function later in life.
While much research has been done we are still just getting a clearer idea of how the human brain ages and how this impacts us as we grow older. There is much research left to be done and much more to even begin before we have a clear image of how our brains truly age and what internal and external factors influence our cognitive abilities into our golden years.
BONUS: Here is a great link for a fun activity: Building a Brain Hemisphere Hat
If you have any concerns or would like some help living more comfortably at home, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-866-982-2737 and speak with some about setting up an at home care assessment today.